Monday, January 3, 2011

What is Spirituality?

I don't know Bill Maher, and he certainly doesn't know me. However, from looking at his writings, thoughts, and media presence I think its safe to say Bill Maher and I don't spend much time on the same page.  Imagine my surprise when I read his annual Christmas rant and found myself agreeing with part of it.

Taking on the Queen of media, and perhaps biting off more than he can chew - Maher wrote:
"Oprah's show purports to be a lot about spirituality. If it was, then wouldn't she tell her worshiping flock to "sit down and stop losing your shit over material stuff?" As for me, I don't really know what spirituality means, but I know if you're weeping over a sweater then you don't either."
 And I agree. People jumping up and down over acquiring more material goods is hardly the stuff spirituality is made of.  It is easy to see what spirituality is NOT. What I have found more difficult is defining what spirituality is.

So this year instead of the occasional entry on a scripture, I'm going to digress and each week explore the idea of what spirituality actually is.  I am not sure it is one thing - (in fact, for this experiment, I am hoping it is at least 52 different things!) -- but I am sure that by encountering it with the eyes of faith and a heart of wisdom we can learn many things.

So for this year, I invite you to join me and learn a little about what spirituality really means.  I promise, at the end of the year - I will not give you a sweater.

No comments: